Every day, people take billions of photos. SmugMug, Inc., was founded in 2002 to make sure those photos have a safe, beautiful home online and that the photographers who take them have a thriving, accessible global community. In 2018, we acquired Flickr, the best photo community site in the world for inspiration, connection, and sharing. Today, SmugMug and Flickr help photographers of all kinds protect, share, and sell their photos. From casual smartphone shutterbugs to professional portrait artists, we provide the essential tools that photographers need to grow their skillset, their following, and their profits.
SmugMug is seeking a Staff level Android Engineer to join our team of dedicated, highly motivated native application developers. This person will be essential in supporting the continued success of our Android platform and provide technical direction for our native application suite across multiple platforms.
Our ideal candidate will have experience building and deploying stable, well tested, feature rich, and performant Android applications while collaborating with our iOS and Lightroom developers, product, design, quality assurance, and customer experience teams.
- Code, test, document, mentor, demo, and ship!
- Work with the cross-functional team to refine product requirements, suggest technical opportunities, and improve processes.
- Propose and lead discovery of bespoke and vendor integrated engineering projects in support of business initiatives.
- Mentor team members and support internal and external partners.
- Translate product and technical vision into prototypes and implementation strategy; break down and estimate work.
- Coordinate multi-disciplinary, sometimes multi-team, project execution and releases.
- Improve documentation, test coverage, build systems, development environments, and team processes.
- Extensive knowledge of Java, Kotlin, and Android platform APIs and conventions.
- A love for testable code and pragmatic test coverage strategies.
- A commitment to technical documentation, mentoring, and sharing of best practices.
- A collaborative mindset, supporting inclusion, exploration, and data informed wayfinding.
- Experience drafting architectural proposals and leading technical strategy discussions, framing multi-year vision and milestone planning.
- Experience authoring architectural and system diagrams.
- Familiarity working in agile kanban and sprint-based teams.
*Remote work applies to select states: California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, and Washington.
SmugMug seeks to thrill customers around the world, and building a diverse team is essential to our success. We seek employees with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives. And we're committed to providing equal opportunities and cultivating an inclusive culture. We believe that embracing diversity is integral to innovation and progress.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at [email protected] to make an accommodation request.