Help us to deliver amazing apps seen by millions of users on a daily basis
Due to exciting growth at the company we're looking for a Senior Android Developer to help us deliver Android applications. We’ve got opportunities for you to work on interesting projects, innovate with the latest technologies and produce solutions that delight our clients.
Do you have experience developing Android apps in Kotlin? Do you care about writing clean, maintainable and testable code? Are you excited to help us work towards adopting jetpack compose? If so, we’ve got a great role for you to stretch your wings and see what you’re really capable of.
Who are we
xDesign is an award-winning digital transformation and software partner based in the centres of Edinburgh and Leeds. We pride ourselves on working closely and collaboratively with our clients to craft intuitive user experiences and valuable products across a wide range of industries, technologies, and clients. Our reputation as a partner determined to deliver high-quality, robust and thoughtful end-products has enabled us to scale to over 300 people in the last couple of years, and we are preparing for further growth.
We are always looking to try new approaches, libraries and architectures to stay on the cutting edge. Our developers work as part of project teams but also regularly collaborate in communities of practice to discuss how we can improve and share knowledge. We also have a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within engineering.
We care about hiring great people so you’ll be working with a team that cares. We support each other with problems, push each other to get better and celebrate success together. Developers, testers, product owners and designers all collaborate as equals on projects to make the best product possible.
Every day’s progress is a communal effort and you’ll be a valued member of the team. We have a structured progression framework to support development plans and career growth for each person within engineering. You’ll get close support from your line manager with your day to day work as well as looking at the bigger picture of your career growth and knowledge development.
Our apps are usually done in pairs, with an iOS team and an Android team working to deliver a similar app to our clients.
Our Android developers use Kotlin, co-routines and the latest Jetpack libraries, and we’re looking at how we can adopt jetpack compose in the near future. As we continue we’re always looking to find and adopt the best tools for the job - whether that’s making our CI better with automated code scanning and UI testing or developing reusable libraries that we can share across projects.
We conduct unit testing across all our projects, code is always peer reviewed, and we encourage these reviews to happen “over the shoulder” (or on a call more recently) to make it a better environment for team members to learn from each other. As a team we meet regularly to discuss new approaches and challenges, whether that’s in the mobile community or just other android team members.
- Developing mobile apps with a focus on readable, maintainable and tested code using Kotlin, Coroutines and modern android development practices
- Collaborating with designers, product owners, testers and clients to deliver great products as an agile team
- Being an advocate for engineering best practices on android
- Strong native mobile development experience using recent Android framework versions
- Enthusiastic and experienced in using engineering best practices, clean code and unit testing
- Experience working as part of a cross-functional development team
- Passion and enthusiasm for delivering great products
As well as a competitive salary which we’re transparent about from the outset, you can also expect a range of benefits:
- We make learning a priority here at xDesign which is why you’ll get 6 paid learning and development days and an individual allocated budget to help you focus on your personal and professional development
- We believe our employees should enjoy their leave how and when they want, that’s why we give you 34 days (inc bank holidays) to spend as you wish, increasing to 35 in January 2023
- Support for your health and wellbeing with access to fast and effective private medical insurance with Vitality
- Our enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and shared parental leave ensures you get to spend quality time with your new family members
- We ensure our employees feel more secure and supported with their finances by partnering with Bippit to provide confidential professional financial coaching, workshops and resources
Some of the latest tech equipment, including headphones and more, as well as a range of tools to do your job comfortably
- If you like getting involved in social events at work, we host regular optional virtual and in-person events like cook-alongs, virtual quizzes and more
- We want to help you do your bit to fight climate change. That’s why we’ve partnered with Loveelectric, where you can save up to 50% on any electric vehicle
- For the avid cyclists, take advantage of our cycle-to-work scheme
- Through the wellbeing app, YuLife, you’ll get access to many benefits including group life insurance, a 24/7 EAP service and both physical and mental wellbeing support
- Invest in your future by opting into our salary sacrifice pension scheme
This position is available for UK based remote working as well as office or hybrid working for those based around Leeds or Edinburgh.
Think this is for you? Get in touch for a confidential chat about how you can become part of the team.
Learn more about life at xDesign on our careers site and for more insights into our hiring process check out our careers FAQs.
We believe that representative teams made up of people with different backgrounds, skills and points of view help us build the best workplace possible and enable us to create genuinely innovative, broadly useful products.
We are committed to our goal of creating the most inclusive workplace possible. As we strive to build an environment where everyone can thrive and be themselves we will continue to investigate and challenge biases, while working to identify and remove obstacles to inclusion. If you need additional support or accommodation during the application process, please don’t hesitate to let us know.