onX is a pioneer in digital outdoor navigation. With offices in Missoula and Bozeman, Montana, we are inspired by the landscapes that surround us. We bring our outdoor passion to work every day with a singular goal–to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We do this by engineering industry-leading technology, and by crafting dynamic outdoor experiences.
Through multiple years of growth, we haven’t lost our entrepreneurial ethos at onX. We offer a fast-paced, tech-forward environment where ownership and accountability are essential.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR
onX is seeking a motivated Senior Android Engineer to join our Core Services team. This team is responsible for developing features and services to be leveraged by our product teams building onX apps. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic startup focused on making an impact on the business, and the mobile mapping industry as a whole. You'll work on a cross-platform team alongside iOS, web, and backend engineers with a designer and product manager. This position will report to the VP of Engineering.
Hybrid from Montana or fully remote from select locations. onX’s corporate offices are located in Missoula and Bozeman, Montana. This position can be performed near a corporate office or remotely from one of onX’s “Basecamps,” which are emerging locations where our remote onXers cluster for work and adventure. onX’s current Basecamps are located within a 120-mile radius of the following: Austin, TX; Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Salt Lake City, UT; and Seattle, WA.
Software Engineering applicants outside of these locations will be considered on an individual basis and still encouraged to apply, except for AK, HI, IL, MA, NY, ND, OH, WY, and Washington DC. For more information, please contact [email protected]
Additionally, being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. We do not sponsor work visas (of any kind ) for this position at this time.
(Essential Job Duties)
- Build scalable services to support new features and products for suite onX apps.
- Write unit, integration, and acceptance tests
- Participate in architectural decisions involving our services
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders
- Lead by example - embody our company values
- Leverage and extend existing onX services
- Participate in an on-call schedule to support backend services after work hours
- Mentor junior software engineers to help them learn and grow
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related; OR equivalent experience.
- Minimum six (6) years of professional software development experience required, where Android development (Kotlin and/or Java) was your professional focus for four (4) or more years.
- Must have worked on an app that has been released to the Google Play Store, either as an individual or member of a team.
- Strong CS Fundamentals such as algorithms and data structures. Yes, they are needed here.
- Experience with gRPC and/or REST
- Experience with SQLite or other relational databases
- Understanding of best practices and architectural patterns such as MVVM.
- You are excited to work with experienced developers and write great code
- You’re fun to work with
- You get stuff done
- You take ownership
- Experience with Geospatial tools and libraries
- Experience with MapBox is strongly preferred
- Ability to understand and review code written in Go and Swift to better collaborate with your team
- Experience using WorkManager API
- Experience with cross-platform libraries and code using JNI
- Understanding of concurrency in Android
- Familiar with GCS, Firebase, Kubernetes, microservices, or Docker
- Practice using metrics to measure app performance at scale
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [0%]
- Walking - [10%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Ability to travel - Depends on location, otherwise not anticipated; remote employees typically travel to Montana twice per year.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salaries, annual bonuses, equity, and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive health benefits including a no-monthly-cost medical plan
- Parental leave plan of four or six weeks fully paid
- 401k matching at 100% for the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures and amazing outdoor industry perks
- Annual “Get Out, Get Active” funds to fuel your active lifestyle in and outside of the gym
- Flexible time away package that includes PTO, STO, VTO, quiet weeks, and floating holidays
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience, and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring, and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.
Important Note: To make sure that our emails always come straight to your inbox, we encourage you to take a moment and designate ClearCompany as a safe sender. All system emails are sent from @clearcompany.com or @email.clrco.com.
Position open until filled.
At onX, we believe that diversity makes us better. Bringing together a diverse set of backgrounds, ideas, and opinions helps us to achieve our mission to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. onX is committed to equal opportunity not only in our hiring practices but also in our employment practices, including but not limited to development, compensation, and promotion. We strive to build an inclusive work community where everyone can be their authentic self, and together, we win as a team. Come join us!
onX is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please contact us at [email protected]