Engineering Manager, Mobile Team
Are you a product-focused engineering leader passionate about building teams and software technology? Do you consider yourself a skilled and empathic manager? Do you enjoy leading people, collaborating with cross-functional teams, and improving software development practices? Have you mentored, coached and provided a clear framework for growth for your team members? We might have the perfect opportunity for you.
Our Product and Technology:
ChowNow’s mobile applications are built in Kotlin & Swift with Gradle and Swift Package manager as our dependencies managers. We monitor our apps with Fabric, Embrace IO and New Relic and use Amplitude for product analytics. Our designers deliver and collaborate with the team via Figma. Our RESTful APIs are powered by Python, MySQL, and Redis supported by infrastructure-as-code environments on Amazon Web Services.
About the Position:
ChowNow’s Engineering Team has built a modern platform enabling restaurant owners to accept pickup and delivery orders online. Our “quality product first” approach to engineering contributes to our success and brand recognition. We’ve reached the time when we need to grow and scale our engineering team to meet the demand of the many exciting new products and features on our roadmap. We are looking to grow our Mobile teams and this position is key to our success.
We’re looking for an experienced mobile engineer and leader who will be responsible for growing our mobile team. As the Mobile Engineering Manager, you will help us launch reliable and stable products, and support new initiatives to continuously improve the experience of our users. You will shape the product, the software architecture, the development process, and the culture. Most importantly, you will motivate, encourage and lead your team to success, by finding growth opportunities, providing constructive feedback, and combining challenge and support to get the best out of your colleagues.
You will be leading the team technically and also be directly responsible for the career development of the engineers on your team. You will report to the Sr. Manager. Mobile.
About the Team:
ChowNow is unique among tech startups in the restaurant space. We power branded online ordering systems for independent restaurants across North America – via websites, Google, Instagram, and through branded iOS and Android apps – and we do it all for a reasonable monthly fee regardless of order volume. We operate this way because of our belief in being fair, sustainable, and equitable with our restaurant partners. And the same goes for our workplace.
Diversity, teamwork, and mutual respect are among our core company values. And we pride ourselves on giving our teams plenty of opportunities to make their mark. To date we’ve created over 20,000 apps for our restaurant partners – something that’s never been done before in our category. Our next challenge will be to iterate on our mobile marketplace products to deliver a best in class experience with minimum fees for the restaurants and customers. As we expand to new markets, further spreading the word about the ChowNow difference, those opportunities to create, build, and grow will only increase. If this sounds like the kind of workplace, and the kind of mission, that appeals to you, we’d love to talk.
Learn more by checking out our reviews on Glassdoor (they’re excellent). Together we can preserve neighborhood flavor, one restaurant at a time.
Within 3 months, you’ll…
- Complete your ChowNow new hire onboarding (Ramp Camp) and learn the ins and outs of ChowNow, our products, and our services
- Shadow each department for an in-depth look into how each team plays their part
- Review product requirements and design documents, perform code reviews and weigh in on implementation choices.
- Collaborate with product managers and engineers on defining high-level technology roadmap addressing tech debt, product roadmap, and other needs.
- Contribute to the development of current mobile projects.
- Lead evolution of software development process and practices supporting growth of the team and new product initiatives.
- Understand how business goals, PCI compliance, and other aspects affect our internal processes.
- Develop a hiring roadmap based on projected demand from Product Managers.
- Partner with the People & Culture Team on recruiting and mentoring your first hire.
Within 6 months, you’ll…
- Support and collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure consistent application of engineering practices.
- Provide guidance for new product development and mobile architecture evolution.
- Address at least one non-product item from your team growth roadmap.
Within 12 months, you’ll…
- Develop career growth paths for all team members.
- Contribute to building engineering culture based on collaboration, inclusion, support, measuring and tracking results, and constant improvement.
- Engage in local and virtual engineering and start-up communities to contribute to building a strong ChowNow engineering brand.
You should apply if:
- You have at least 5 years of native mobile engineering experience, including at least 2 years of experience as a people manager leading at least 6 engineers.
- You have hands-on experience building mobile applications using modern technologies like Swift, Kotlin.
- You have developed, launched and supported large scale B2B and B2C SaaS products.
- You have a passion for team building and a track record of recruiting, onboarding and fostering high-performing engineering teams.
- You know how to partner with Product, Design, QA and other Engineering Leaders to build compelling products in an Agile environment.
- You care about the quality of work your team produces.
- You can define metrics, instrument their measurement, and lead a team to hit them.
- You are a fan of rapid iteration and experimentation. You think about failures as a learning opportunity.
- You know how to capitalize on the diverse strengths of the people around you.
- You are a thoughtful mentor and leader who loves supporting your team and collaborating with others to achieve great things.
- You have a point of view but encourage and welcome critiques.
- You thrive in environments supporting your growth, and where you can support others.
- You are passionate with a contagious energy, encouraging those around you to peruse their goals
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive Salary
- Ongoing training and growth opportunities.
- A "Best Place to Work" winner multiple times where we focus on creating a great employee experience
- Rock solid medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Mental Health Coverage - we offer several programs to support your mental health and wellness goals.
- 3 weeks paid vacation; paid holidays; we expect you to work hard, but still enjoy your personal life
- 7 weeks of baby bonding time for all new parents (within the first year of birth or adoption), 8 Weeks of Paid Pregnancy Leave.
- 401(k) Matching
- Employer-contributing student loan assistance program.
- Commuter benefits (including Uber Pool).
- Employee Stock Incentive Plan.
- Pet insurance for your fur babies
- Quarterly Industry Speakers Series.
- Quarterly Tech Events (Women, LGBTQ, Diversity, Inclusion).
- Consistent & fair leadership: we’ll share info, set clear goals, show you respect, and treat everyone fairly.
- Enough freedom to spread your wings while still holding you accountable.
- Fully stocked kitchen and cold brew on tap.
As one of ChowNow’s core values, “Celebrates Diversity”, we are committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment. ChowNow is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.