Reduce inequity by helping immigrants move money home by becoming the leading cross-border fintech for immigrants.
-> Founded by Harvard grads / 3rd-time founders —- also founded Segovia (successful exit) and GiveDirectly (>300M revenue, fastest-growing NGO).
-> Top performers from top and varied organizations (e.g., Bain, Bolt, Google, McKinsey, SafeBoda, Uber, Zipline) —- we like moving fast, and we hire people that do as well.
-> Driven by mission, guided by values (see below) — in deed, not just word.
-> Team as global as the mission, >30 languages from 25 countries (i.e., if you’re interested in learning to make Chicken Moambe, we’re the place).
Taptap Send is backed by top VCs (Spark, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital, etc.), rapidly growing and a great place for those looking for both impact and a fast-paced tech startup environment. Read more about the journey in Reid Hoffman’s words or TechCrunch article (outdated)
Launched in 2019, Taptap is tapping into a transformative shift in global finance: from banks to phones. While this has affected wealthier countries as well, it has been nothing short of a revolution for the emerging markets where the overwhelming majority of population had been unable to access digital finance previously. Its first product, Taptap Send, allows immigrants to send money home instantly and with no fee, saving money in the process. With a formal market size of >700B alone, we’ve got a lot more saving to do for our users. And that’s just the beginning….
Spark Capital, Canaan, Reid Hoffman, Breyer Capital (Jim Breyer), Unbound (Shravin Mittal), Wamda (Fadi Ghandour), Firstminute Capital, Slow Ventures (Sam Lessin), Helios Partners (Souleymane Ba), Co-ventures (Ali Hamed), Nikesh Arora, Samih Toukan, and many other context-specific angels
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join our growing team and be responsible for our backend systems as we scale, and the personal development of the engineers working on them. As a key leader, you will shape the evolution of our team, and foster an encouraging, inclusive and hard-working environment. Initially, you will lead 3-5 engineers, and will have time to do hands-on work on interesting technical problems.
You will work closely with Product, Operations, Customer Support, Growth and other functions to help the team address many exciting upcoming challenges, including: scaling up to handle increased volume and complexity, helping our analysts derive business and product insights to drive growth and retention, building internal tools for our customer support and acquisition efforts, and much more!
Taptap Send is a cross-platform mobile app developed with React Native and TypeScript, which talks to a backend service written in Kotlin and backed by a PostgreSQL database, all of which runs on AWS and is managed via Terraform and Ansible. This is a backend-focused role, but you will have plenty of opportunities to work on all parts of our tech stack.
- Looking to join a growing team as a leader and have significant impact on its structure, processes and norms
- Energized about cultivating an inclusive culture where everyone brings their whole selves to work
- Comfortable collaborating with partners across all functions and believe in shared success
- An experienced engineer and tech lead, who enjoys coaching others and helping them grow to achieve their goals
- A clear communicator who believes in communicating kindly but candidly
- Committed to using your engineering skills for social good
- 8+ years of full-time software development experience, or equivalent
- Experience managing a high-performing engineering team of 5 or more, and a track record of mentoring and coaching team members
- Experience working on systems that have real-world performance and reliability constraints
- Experience with commercial cloud environments, preferably AWS
- Experience developing software in a collaborative, multi-functional, and fast-paced environment
Nice to have but not required:
- Experience implementing and managing elaborate integrations with third-party APIs
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code technologies, like Terraform and Ansible
- Experience with SRE or similar infrastructure work
- Experience with Data Engineering concepts and workflows
Benefits (US)- specifics depend on geography!
- Competitive salary (based on experience)
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance
- Unlimited leave
- Flexible hours
- Regular team events
- Professional development opportunities (e.g. language lessons, training, etc.)
- Taptap equipment (laptop, accessories)
- Work from home desk stipend
- Behavioral health benefits
Win with grit.
Be proactively candid, with yourself and others.
Love the particular.
Create positive energy.
Maybe, even have fun.
Note: we recognize imposter syndrome is real - any candidate that does not perfectly fit every characteristic of this role is still strongly encouraged to apply.