Komoot is an app that lets you find, plan, and share adventures with its easy route planner. Driven by a love for nature and powered by the outdoor community’s recommendations, komoot helps you explore more of the great outdoors—wherever and however you want. And we're good at it. Google and Apple have listed us as one of their Apps of the Year numerous times. Today, with over 30 million users and 300,000 five-star reviews, we are well on our way to becoming the most popular app for finding, planning, and sharing adventures worldwide.
Join our remote-working team and start your adventure with komoot.
About the role
Working on the komoot Android app means you’ll be in a challenging, rewarding role and have a direct impact on the millions of people who use it for their outdoor adventures, both big and small. The feature-rich native app allows users to find routes and nature highlights and take part in a thriving community. It’s using a variety of phone capabilities to offer offline functionalities and turn-by-turn voice navigation on the go.
As the Android Team Lead at komoot, you’ll lead, develop, and grow a highly motivated team of (currently) five Android developers and help shape the future of our Android app. You’ll guide, recruit, and onboard team members, as well as redesign and adapt the way we work together as our team evolves. You’ll strive to build an industry-leading Android team that helps komoot become the world’s leading outdoor app.
Ready for your next adventure?
What you will do
- Be the advocate and voice of the Android team at komoot.
- Build and develop your team: Recruit, onboard, and mentor Android developers.
- Monitor your teammates' performance, coach them on professional and personal development, conduct salary negotiations, lead hiring and offboarding processes.
- Foster collaboration, knowledge sharing and developing skills among team members.
- Establish best practices for team processes.
- Set goals for team development and technical innovation, ensure your team achieves and is celebrated for them.
- Help the team build a modern and effective tech stack and development process at an industry-leading level.
- Keep an overview of modern Android technologies, manage technical projects, and orchestrate technical decisions.
- Manage external services and tools, and oversee contracts with vendors and suppliers.
Why you will love it
- Your work will contribute to helping millions of people enjoy lovely outdoor experiences.
- We’ve been a remote-working company since 2017, meaning: We are remote by default, have frameworks and systems in place, and know how to do it well.
- You’ll become an essential part of our diverse and international team with colleagues based in 15+ countries across Europe.
- You can work from wherever you want, be it a beach, the mountains, your house, or anywhere else that lies in any time zone between UTC-1 and UTC+3.
- 38 paid days off (inclusive public holidays) – you are free to take those days whenever it suits you, including a well-deserved winter holiday break.
- We love seeing people grow. That's why each team member gets €2,000 and 3 additional days to spend on professional development each year. Classes, conferences, books – your choice!
- Costs covered for your co-working space membership or your work-from-home office setup and the latest devices and equipment to do your best work.
You’ll be successful in this role if you
- Are a passionate team leader.
- Bring a strong technical background and excitement for Android development.
- Have 3+ years of experience as the lead of a high-performing team.
- Have 3+ years of experience as an Android developer.
- Know how to develop native Android apps at scale.
- Share complex ideas in clear and straightforward language.
- Can make tough decisions and take responsibility for their consequences.
- Find satisfaction in enabling your colleagues to thrive.
- Have strong moderating skills to bring discussions to a successful conclusion.
- Show empathy for your colleagues as well as being able to give direct and sometimes uncomfortable feedback.
- Communicate well in a diverse, international, and fully remote team.
- Know that the team comes first and you come second.
Not sure if you meet all requirements above? Don't sweat it – if you think you're the right person anyway, we'd love to hear from you
Curious about how we work?
- Core Communication time between 10 am- 3 pm (Berlin Time). We know people have different lifestyles, which is why we have flexible working hours with core time for synchronous interaction. You can organize your workday in the way that best suits you, your family, and your needs.
- We work on a project basis in squads and teams to ensure that we collaborate on our goals, move forward smoothly with open lines of communication, and achieve results as a team.
- Every Monday morning, we have a whole-company presentation where you hear about projects across the business, inspire each other, and share great work.
- We connect in-person at three whole-company gatherings each year in beautiful locations. You can check out this playlist to find out more about how we stay close while being remote.
- We use tools like Trello, Slack, Miro, Zoom, and Google Drive on a daily basis to stay connected, collaborate easily, and manage projects.
Dive a little deeper and learn…
We support diversity and inclusivity and welcome all prospective applicants. We have a rolling recruitment process – if this role is online, it means it’s still open.