About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and Geocaching.com website enable a community of more than 10 million people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable adventure, exploration, and community. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable millions of people to have fun outside. How cool is that?
We are seeking a skilled Android Developer to join the team that creates and maintains the Geocaching app for Android phones. The team is currently embarking on the reinvention of the way Geocaching is played on mobile devices. We’re seeking a developer who can quickly join in, come up-to-speed on the project to provide quality code, contribute to discussions, and help make the geocaching experience awesome.
What we’re looking for in an Android Developer
- A proven track record of successfully delivering Android apps to the public
- A strong foundation of object-oriented programming skills and deep familiarity with computer science topics including data structures and algorithms
- Ability to keep up with rapidly changing platforms and awareness of the latest advances in Android and frameworks
- Love of a self-organizing, agile software development team, and enthusiasm for Scrum rituals
- Enjoyment of close collaboration, both within and outside the team
- Total ownership over the quality of their work and fluency in development practices that minimize bugs through UI testing and unit testing.
- Sense for good UX practices and enjoys working with our UX team to create experiences that delight our customers
Qualifications & Required Skills
- 2+ years of experience as a hands-on developer
- Working knowledge of Java and Kotlin
- Working knowledge of patterns and frameworks used on the Android platform including data persistence, Fragments, Map APIs, and Google Play
- Experience writing apps that support a wide variety of Android devices
- Experience writing clients for RESTful web services
- Experience with Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s degree (MIS or Computer Science emphasis) or equivalent experience
- Bonus: Experience with RxJava, In app billing
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values (effectiveness, authenticity, passion) in actions and behaviors.
- Superb communication, interpersonal, and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations.
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems, and technologies
- Self-starting, self-directed, and open to coaching/feedback
- Exceptional presentation skills for any audience.
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualification for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our company core values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.
Some of our current benefits & perks!
- Comprehensive benefits package: medical, dental, vision, FSA (health and dependent care), and life & disability insurance.
- 401k retirement plan: traditional and/or ROTH, plus employer match and immediate vesting.
- Healthy work/life balance: generous PTO and holidays, regular wellness & social events, unlimited access to our Employee Assistance Program, regular team lunches, and more.
- Free Geocaching Premium Membership to cache to your heart's content!
- Sabbatical every 7 years.
- Free lift tickets or reimbursement towards recreational activities.
- On-site gear closet so you can enjoy the great outdoors.
- ORCA cards and commuter benefits.
- Professional development budget tailored to your learning & growth -- not in the cookie-cutter "one size fits all" approach.
- Employer donation matching program.